If you haven't tried roasted garlic in the oven yet it is an absolute must! It's so easy and the outcome is divine. Mix it with Earth Balance butter for a savory spread. (See the recipe for Oven Roasted Garlic Bread below.)
Linguine Alla Checca
makes ~6-8 servings
4-5 C. halved cherry tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, crushed & chopped
2 large handfuls fresh basil
2/3 + 1 Tb. C. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
ground black pepper
4 vegan sausage links, chopped into 1" chunks (I used Tofurky sausage)
1 1lb. linguine
optional: vegan Parmesan cheese
1. The morning of, place tomatoes, basil, garlic and 2/3 C. olive oil in a large non-metallic bowl. Toss well and add salt & pepper. Cover with plastic wrap or lid and let sit at room temperature for at least two hours or 8 hours if you can. (The longer the better!)
2. The night of, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add linguine and cook it al dente.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tb. oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Cook the sliced vegan sausage for 4-5 minutes per side, or until crispy and browned.
4. Drain the pasta and immediately add it to the marinating tomato mixture. Toss well. Add sausage, toss and serve warm.
Oven Roasted Garlic Bread
makes 6-8 servings
2 bulbs garlic
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tb. Earth Balance original buttery spread
1 baguette loaf
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Peel the very outer layers of garlic bulb skin, leaving on the inner skin, closest to the cloves. Use a sharp knife to trim off 1/4" of the tops of the cloves.
3. Place garlic bulbs onto a piece of foil large enough to completely enclose the garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and twist the foil at the top to seal completely.
4. Place directly on oven rack or onto baking pan (or use a muffin pan) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to the touch. Turn oven down to 325F.
5. Soften Earth Balance butter at room temperature in a small bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic directly into the bowl. You may need to use a fork to get any little bits out that are left behind. Use a fork to mash and mix the garlic and butter together.
6. Use a serrated knife to cut the baguette into 1" slices and place evenly onto a baking sheet. Slather on the garlic butter mixture onto both sides of the bread. Bake for ~7 minutes or until slightly crispy on the outer edges. Serve with Linguine Alla Checca.
WANT MORE VEGGIE KIDS?
Follow Veggie Kids on Instagram,